Total Containment Eco 111?

Underground storage tank regulations, compliance issues and news from EPA OUST, ASTSWMO, CALCUPA and state regulatory agencies.
mrdv
Head Tech

Total Containment Eco 111?

Post by mrdv » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Does anyone have any experience with fixing the secondary jacket of a Total containment tank? I believe the model number is Eco 111 or 110? It appears I have a small weep on one of the secondary jacket welds. I'm looking for ideas to fix? if any?
Mark

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Total Containment Eco 111?

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:58 am

If it is less than 30 years old it may still be under warranty.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

mrdv
Head Tech

Post by mrdv » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks for reply. This is a Total Containment tank. not CSI. It is a steel tank with a poly jacket.

http://www.jlhoustonco.com/totalcontainment.html
Mark

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:44 am

I apologize because I know this is less than helpful. If I owned this pub I would quote what you needed to know. :oops:

SP131 Standard for Inspection & Repair Underground Steel Tanks

https://steeltank.com/Publications/STIS ... fault.aspx

Maybe you could reach out to STI and ask this question? Just tell them you're trying to decide if fiberglass or steel tanks are superior.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

stuppid
Head Tech

Post by stuppid » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:24 pm

The jacket is hdpe I think. Someone with a hdpe welding iron could repair it. The 30 year warranty is for the primary tank only for structural and corrosion. I think the secondary carried a five year warranty. I wouldn't bother repairing the jacket. These secondary on these tanks usually fails to test at the bungs. The bungs use a compression fitting and gasket to seal the jacket to the bungs. Usually with expansion and contraction this seal works loose. Even if you fix it now it will likely fail before the next three year test and you start all over.

stuppid
Head Tech

Post by stuppid » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:28 pm

It looks like maybe JL Houston is still manufacturing these? I would call them for repair. My experience with these are from tanks manufactured by Total Containment back in the late 90's. Maybe something has changed, but when California adopted secondary containment testing these tanks became obsolete out here for the most part. The jacket was not necessarily bad but the tanks would not test due to the bungs.