Vapor Tight Tanks and ATG readings

Underground storage tank regulations, compliance issues and news from EPA OUST, ASTSWMO, CALCUPA and state regulatory agencies.
Fatmonk
Head Tech

Re: Vapor Tight Tanks and ATG readings

Post by Fatmonk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 am

I hear those guys at the Cal Water Board are great to work with. Reasonable, charming and unlike Texas, don't have to wear drool bibs.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Not surprised to hear ZMiller is world famous.

I've been to the Texas Environmental Trade Fair and the CUPA conference. I learned much more at CUPA. I am looking forward to going back after California updates their UST regulations.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 am

Yes they are. Nice people in California they are.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

Fatmonk
Head Tech

Post by Fatmonk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 am

California has a work shop on their federal regulations package on March 28th in Los Angeles (Region 4 HQ Building). They just had one in Sacramento earlier this week.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:32 am

Article on Tank over-vacuumization: Unintended consequences of decommissioning Stage II vapor recovery systems

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... 0909b94762
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Interesting that somebody important and in a positioned regulatory agency points at pressure and vacuum issues in fuel tanks.

Dramitic pressure fluctuations will cause stress and eventual containment boundry failure. Compounding issues caused by irregularities in actual fuel level measurement increase chances of over fill and spills.

When one for example has to pry a fill cap off with a crow bar to release vacuum a problem arrises where if the fill tube is missing the ullage atmosphere becomes explosive.

I'm told when conditions are just right and that happens it's painless and for a fraction of a second you sence weightlessness and hear a bird like buzz or churp in your ear(s).

So as Do You Feel Lucky Dirty Harry said. Is there a fill tube when I pry the cap off or could it be missing?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:54 am

I might add that there might vary well be a flare flash if there is pressure in the tank. The ignition motivation being the quick release of kinetic energy caused by high velocity atmospheric differential pressure correction through a connecting conduit.

Ignition can and under ideal conditions will occure if a pressurized fuel tank containing highly saturated hydrocarbon vapor is vented to an oxidizing atmosphere.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:44 am

It's refered to as flashing the tank. Back in the days for fun when excavating old tanks you pressured up the tank and popped the cap.

The visual 40 foot flare affect was better when done at night. Mostly the practice is harmless to canopies and surrounding structures as long as vapor ignition is outside the tank to atmosphere.

If the tank under extreme vacuum was all of a sudden to become oxidized with atmosphere (oxygen) for example the empty space atmosphere would be explosive. The ignition point being where the tank vent riser connects to the tank. Depending on exactly where you might be standing in proximity to a steel or glass tank exploding would determine how much fun you will have.

CoseGurse

Vapor Tight Tanks and ATG readings

Post by CoseGurse » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:45 am

This is a great article/study. Any way you could add where this was originally published?