Self Checkout POS Workstations - Why or Why not?

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.
KelleyPetroLife

Self Checkout POS Workstations - Why or Why not?

Post by KelleyPetroLife » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:30 pm

Been in the industry for many years, both on service and sales sides, but this is my first time posting on PEI Forum. I'm looking for feedback on what you all are experiencing with customers engaged in Self Checkout workstations - Success stories and failed trials - all comments welcome!

dmcginnis89
Head Tech

Re: Self Checkout POS Workstations - Why or Why not?

Post by dmcginnis89 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:48 am

we did a beta site for Verifone with their old ipad/tablet setup. Was pretty easy to setup/Configure, only problem is selling age restricted items. No lottery, cigarettes, blunt wraps, using cash or getting gas eliminates 95% of the customers inside a gas station. Haven't done one with a C18 yet, so can't comment that, but if it has the same restrictions, it won't be very useful.

KelleyPetroLife

Post by KelleyPetroLife » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:56 am

Thanks for your response dmcginnis89 - have you installed any gilbarco self check units? We work in big metro markets and they definately are struggling with keeping store employees - I thought selling these would be a no brainer in these areas but they are slow moving. I am hoping that with the release of software such as V21.03 for Passport that allows specific functions for Self Cheak lanes might help - looking for suggestons on selling points and who, specifically we should target to get these units on counters. Interested in seeing what Techs think about the install process. We all know that Techs are a big part of the sales success in products! ;)

dmcginnis89
Head Tech

Post by dmcginnis89 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:10 pm

no gilbarco experience here, so can’t speak on that.