Diesel Filters

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.

Are 10 micron filters a good idea?

Yes.
29%
No.
56%
Only on low-flow dispensers.
15%

Total votes: 34

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Diesel Filters

Post by CherokeeUST » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:56 am

Interesting article on Diesel fuels.
http://dm.hartfuel.com/i/436019/36
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

fatboy
Head Tech

Post by fatboy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:26 am

........Telling the customer he or she has a fuel quality issue just doesn't seem to sink in. I'm feeling more like the Jehovah Witness visitors knocking on my door every Saturday just trying to save my sole. I don't like being pessimistic but I'm considering going out, sitting on the curb and waiting for existence on earth to come to an end.

....now that's Funny. :lol:
.......... Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas! ------The Rolling Stones

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:50 pm

"it can't be my fuel, there is something wrong with the filters you keep installing"
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

dirtydiesel

Post by dirtydiesel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:33 am

These guys know what they are doing when it comes to diesel filtration.

They recommend using 4 micron beta 2000 diesel filters at bulk tank locations. 10 micron will not be sufficient to meet cleanliness codes required by new emission standards. I have used their inlet manifolds, tank breather and outlet filtration on bulk diesel tanks to combat a number of different issues.

http://www.mycleandiesel.com
Last edited by dirtydiesel on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtydiesel

Post by dirtydiesel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:19 am

One way to convince customers they have a fuel quality issues is installation of inlet manifolds. I suggest that customers clean their tanks and install these manifolds. It protects the clean that is in the tank, and when the inlet manifold filters plug, you can do an analysis to prove exactly what plugged them. This is eye opening to customers that don't understand diesel chemistry, cleanliness codes or transportation contamination.

Kennyl
Head Tech

Post by Kennyl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:21 am

dirtydiesel wrote:One way to convince customers they have a fuel quality issues is installation of inlet manifolds. I suggest that customers clean their tanks and install these manifolds. It protects the clean that is in the tank, and when the inlet manifold filters plug, you can do an analysis to prove exactly what plugged them. This is eye opening to customers that don't understand diesel chemistry, cleanliness codes or transportation contamination.

I like this setup but I prefer the Kaydon units.
Trying to get my forum status back to its former glory!

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Interesting pictures. The cause(s) of and for debris showing up in the tank(s) has been somewhat defined and is probably well known. While filtering the fuel has always been a good idea it may be as or more important to prevent and or resolve the issues surrounding why there is debris in the tank in the first place.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

fhubbard

Post by fhubbard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:22 pm

I think we have all dealt with the ULSD issues in one way or another. The jury is still out on what is the root cause but it seems to be Low Sulfur = Micro organisms that can live in the fuel and excrete acidic waste. Keeping water out and the fuel clean is really the only option to having a clean tank right now. AXI international has portable and stationary systems and can also fabricate custom systems.

http://www.axi-international.com/

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:29 am

Keeping water (moisture as condensation) and oxygen (an oxidizer) out of the tank works better. API 2000 6th and 7th editions to be more precise.

Remove water, conduct testing, tank lining, oxygen displacement, biocides, corrosion inhibitors, others.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:30 am

squid99 wrote:
rmurray wrote:Sounds good to me, we could use the extra work. Sites might get tired of filters needing replaced every two weeks though.
So how is it the vehicles have 4 micron filters- or smaller- yet drive around for months. But a 10 micron filter on a dispenser will clog up in two weeks?
A lot more fuel passes (volume) through a dispenser filter. Neither filter is absolute in what it is filtering. The pass through debris 10 microns and larger clogs first.