Diesel corrosion

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: So you think the tank has a problem?

Post by ZMiller » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:37 am

We have another nightmare beginning to effect containment integrity.

Compatibility of the tank is one issue. I'm thinking we are missing or ignoring a more serious integrity issue of internal velocity corrosion of pressurized product delivery piping. Both diesel and lighter hydrocarbon fuels. We are seeing imminent product line failure conditions with surface losses around 20ml per year. We might want to review further study data.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

bugbuster
Head Tech

Re: Diesel corrosion

Post by bugbuster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:23 am

Interesting, Zane.

How are you defining pressurized piping (i.e., what pressures are you talking about?)?

Product delivery to retail and fleet UST? I've only seen gravity flow deliveries, except for home heating oil delivery where product is often pumped from the truck to the tank (AST or UST). The flow rates used in these systems wouldn't be likely to cause either cavitation or erosion corrosion.

Better fuel polishing systems used to clean retail/fleet UST can move product a high pressures and velocities, but I would be surprised if the short exposures to such flow would affect the fuel system - especially since most of the surfaces with which the recirculating uel comes nto contact is part of the cleaning rig, not the system being cleaned. I'd love to read more details.

Cheers,
Fred

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 am

I'm glad you asked.

What would be considered normal fuel dispensing in a typical retail fueling facility. Though 20 mils per year doesn't sound like a lot, over time it all kind of adds up to a frightening amount of surface loss.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Were are you seeing this erosion wear? UST floor under fill line? Somewhere else?

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 am

Internally in fiberglass, flexible and flex guard braided piping Elbows, T's and swiveling crimps. Factory machined surfaces not adequately hard treated and pressed fittings and valve seating's in older pump heads. Meter calibrated surfaces. Slow flow Control valves and most hanging hardware components particularly dispenser up stream jumper hoses of break fittings. Shear valve platforms and shear valve platform trip shaft pivot points.

Where else I suspect but afraid to look.

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:38 am

Again, quite interesting, Zane.

Some years ago, I had an opportunity to do autopsies on about 100 dispensers - pumps, valves, and filters.

Although I observed some internal surface corrosion, and elastomer deterioration, I didn't see anything that looked like erosion wear. Seems like this is a design and materials improvement opportunity for the OEMs. I don't believe that fuel chemistry would have much impact of erosion corrosion. As I understand it - speaking as a microbiologist who generally gets involved only with MIC issues on the corrosion front - this is all about fluid dynamics - turbulent flow and cavitation. I wonder about the extent to which new equipment was designed without adequate attention to these two factors...

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am

Issue updates coming soon.

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:44 am

Heart be still...

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 am

What do you think about using FRP risers to avoid corrosion?

I had a site many moons ago in Okmulgee, OK. that had an FRP riser for the fill. The riser cracked and allowed fuel to enter the environment. It became a pretty big release. Is that not a risk of these?
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:39 am

Several years ago, Jeff Leiter, coincidently PEI's and the Fiberglass Tank and Pipe Institute's corporate counsel sent me a cease and desist regarding the opinions I had published about FRP biodeterioration risks. Respecting Mr. Leiter's letter, I'll decline to comment.

Cheers,
Fred