Diesel corrosion

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: Diesel corrosion

Post by ZMiller » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:18 pm

I guess we should all read the latest and final corrosion report released last Wednesday. Interesting about nitrogen blanketing.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:17 pm

The tank blanketing technique applies an inert gas to the empty space in a storage tank or container. The buffer gas adds pressure and controls the speed of oxidation. Nitrogen is used to either prevent the degradation of
fuel, chemicals, and metallic vessels from atmospheric oxidation and corrosion, or to prevent the possibility of combustion. This is a safe and reliable way to protect fuel and storage vessels from degrading from oxidation. The presence of nitrogen keeps oxygen levels low.

Humid air in the head space is replaced by high-purity, inert, dry nitrogen, which effectively displaces all oxygen from the system and stops corrosion by eliminating
the CATHODIC OXYGEN REACTION.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:23 pm

I might add that without OXYGEN and without moisture the inherent bugs just kind of go to sleep.

Now add a silly nitrogen vending machine as a push and relatively speaking you have free corrosion protection.

I'm thinking this is a no brainer.

cbauden
Pump Jockey

Post by cbauden » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:31 am

Perhaps this EPA report on corrosion inside of UST will alert people to the problem of MIC.

Alternative Fuels and Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) | Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) | US EPA
https://www.epa.gov/ust/alternative-fue ... usts#tab-5

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:27 am

I agree with half of your statement ZM. If the water activity (amount of available water) falls below 0.8 most microbes (except for a few fungi) will go dormant (i.e. "go to sleep"), but eliminating the oxygen will only affect the portion of the population that needs oxygen. Those that don't (for example sulfate reducing bacteria) actually prefer/REQUIRE an oxygen-free environment. Companies that have been using nitrogen to inhibit sulfate reduction in the oilfield are learning that in many cases they are simply changing the oilfield microbiology problem; not eliminating it. Although no individual type of microbe can do it all, collectively microbes are incredibly adaptable, overall. This is one of many reasons I love being a microbiologist!

Bottom line; a nitrogen blanket might protect the head-space, but won't end UST corrosion. BTW, I had a good laugh when I read that UST corrosion has only been noted since 2007 (according to the July 2016 US EPA report). Tell that to the maritime industry folks who have been dealing with head-space MIC issues since liquid fuels replaced coal... The reality is that stakeholders are only now beginning to connect the dots. Exhibit A - from the same EPA report - 83% of the inspected UST had moderate to severe corrosion, but only 25% of the site owners were aware of any problem. The majority cling to the belief that if you don't monitor something, it cannot be a problem. Kinda like closing your eyes and being convinced that doing so makes you invisible. But you've already made this last point in several of your previous posts. I'm just echoing your earlier comments.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:10 pm

The Emperor wears new clothes?

Nitrogen you may be correct will not resolve all of the bug problem. There are colonists that could very well nitrogen fixate. What the nitrogen does do is substantially reduce wetting of exposed surfaces and moisture in the empty space of the tank. From test data collected on NBS sites it was determined that Nitrogen blanketing systems do not necessarily need to blanket continuously to be effective. Critical control signals for blanketing with an inert gas typically are determined by set pressure or moisture known thresholds. Nitrogen fixation is one of a number of factors used when calibrating tank blanketing systems. It may be in the oil fields they are only interested in getting oil out of the ground.

Regarding the corrosion on the exposed surfaces; When inspecting sites for corrosion, below the mean level of fuel no resident corrosion activity was typically found. What is often found below the mean fuel level is debris accumulation on the positive curve and along the 6:00 line position of the containment boundary wall of the tank. Debris accumulation typically falls off the negative curve (upper) of the tank wall and STP motor column and ends up below the mean fuel level accumulating on the positive curve (lower) heaviest along the tank bottoms 6:00 position.
Debris accumulation eventually reaches a point of ingestion (groomed) into the high speed turbine motor intake. Debris is then ground into a fine and abrasive material becoming the damaging constituent contributing to the velocity corrosion effect in piping, shear valve internal platforms, dispenser control valves, meters and further down-stream delivery system components.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:40 am

Ferrous metal oxide is the component killing constituent.

cbauden
Pump Jockey

Post by cbauden » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:13 am

Saw this article.

E15 Interest Grows With Retailers & Consumers
JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Many leading convenience retailers are adding E15 to their fueling options, but more may be joining the ranks as consumer interest in the fuel blend ticks up.

From <http://www.csnews.com/node/92157>

C-Store management should be made aware of the added risk of microbial contamination on the inside of their UST along with potential problems.

cbauden
Pump Jockey

Post by cbauden » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm

It's been a little quiet in this forum. How are the pesky microbe bugs treating everyone?

Craig

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:31 pm

They more than likely have gotten the best of everyone. Mine I have corraled or on leashes. Finding a lot of molds causing issues lately.