Drive off Humor

Have a question about static-related accidents? Post it here. Review our safe refueling guidelines and other information for consumers.
ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: Drive off Humor

Post by ZMiller » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 pm

And why do you bolt down the dispenser? For a few years I was doing work adjusting claims for Allstate and Farmers insurance. 90% of dispenser knockdown damage claims were deigned because none of the dispensers on site were correctly mounted and or anchored. Dispensers are not supposed to fall over.

I serviced a 360 once that spun a perfect 190 degrees after a drive off and was still dispensing fuel as if it had been installed that way.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:31 am

From the I-80 corridor west of West Sacramento off the causeway the California Highway Patrol would return two or three hoses and nozzles picked up from the roadway every month.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

dieselengine9
Head Tech

Post by dieselengine9 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 am

dieselengine9
Head Tech

Post by dieselengine9 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:49 pm

rmurray
Head Tech

Post by rmurray » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:13 am

That's funny until someone does it an hour and forty-five minutes into a two hour line test.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:27 pm

dieselengine9 wrote:Image
I retract my previous post. :shock: :o
fatboy wrote:Now does everyone understand why the OEM's put "Date Codes" on SafetyBreaks ??!!
...Test Question later "Newbies" ! :twisted:
Interesting. Where would one find the date codes? Anything special to decipher or pretty easy to figure out?
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:04 am

There are a couple of different reasons. Who actually sets and determines the dates? It's actually a somewhat complicated procedure and more often a prediction. Surprisingly the oem has very little to do with use dating the components.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:56 pm

ZMiller wrote:There are a couple of different reasons. Who actually sets and determines the dates? It's actually a somewhat complicated procedure and more often a prediction. Surprisingly the oem has very little to do with use dating the components.
so what's a good rule of thumb if there's not an obvious date code. I actually saw 'remove from service after' label on one of our opw nozzles today. There's a lot more date coded stuff than I would have thought. :shock:

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:45 pm

The date code stamped on equipment bemuses me.

Who's to say how long a nozzle might sit on a shelf before it gets used somewhere?

Should owners check the equipment for the date before allowing it to be installed? And how long before it's stamped on date should be acceptable?
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:14 am

CherokeeUST wrote:The date code stamped on equipment bemuses me.

Who's to say how long a nozzle might sit on a shelf before it gets used somewhere?

Should owners check the equipment for the date before allowing it to be installed? And how long before it's stamped on date should be acceptable?
Good questions. And important ones too. Makes it tough for station owners and techs alike!