How many wires from the pump does Commander require?

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
Ray500
Head Tech

How many wires from the pump does Commander require?

Post by Ray500 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Just had a tech survey a site where we are installing Gilbarco dispensers with a Commander. He is suggesting that there are only two wires going inside from current dispensers and they will have to pull two more wires to make Commander work. He is saying that a Passport will work off of a two wire setup but Commander will not. I find this a bit strange. Is this information accurate?

ATLTech
Head Tech

Re: How many wires from the pump does Commander require?

Post by ATLTech » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:30 pm

That is correct. If you have a passport it only uses two wires to Gilbarco dispensers. This isn't the site that had Tokheim is it? If so did they have card readers before?

Todd2869
Head Tech

Post by Todd2869 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Ray500 wrote:Just had a tech survey a site where we are installing Gilbarco dispensers with a Commander. He is suggesting that there are only two wires going inside from current dispensers and they will have to pull two more wires to make Commander work. He is saying that a Passport will work off of a two wire setup but Commander will not. I find this a bit strange. Is this information accurate?

Sounds right to me.

Gilbarco dispensers and POS work together differently than a Verifone POS and Gilbarco dispensers.

Systems can be installed to compensate for only one pair but likely would be as much to install as pulling more wire.

Ray500
Head Tech

Post by Ray500 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:57 pm

ATLTech wrote:That is correct. If you have a passport it only uses two wires to Gilbarco dispensers. This isn't the site that had Tokheim is it? If so did they have card readers before?
Yes this is the Tokheim site. Site had no card readers before. Will Ovations to Commander also require 4 wires? The site is really old and I am foreseeing problems when they try to pull more wire. If Ovations need 4 wires as well, we may have to revert to a Passport.

ATLTech
Head Tech

Post by ATLTech » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Yes they will. The only time you can do 2wire is with Gilbarco dispensers and Gilbarco pos. as stated before there is additional equipment that will let you use only 2 wires but I would suggest pulling wire instead of going that route.

xardoz
Head Tech

Post by xardoz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:16 pm

Gilbarco in MOC mode only takes 1 pair - But only supported by G-Site and Passport
In non-MOC mode they need 2 pair

Verifone makes (Made) the SPI/SPA to emulate that functionality

Schlumberger only needed 1 pair but is no longer supported...

All the rest need 2 pair

Done and Done :ugeek:
https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

405pumptech1
Pump Jockey

Post by 405pumptech1 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:38 am

If the site is that old then it probably needs new wire anyway you put it. Commander, Tokheim, Gilbarco, Wayne, pull the wire.

Todd2869
Head Tech

Post by Todd2869 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:48 am

405pumptech1 wrote:If the site is that old then it probably needs new wire anyway you put it. Commander, Tokheim, Gilbarco, Wayne, pull the wire.
This^^

PJL
Head Tech

Post by PJL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:21 pm

I've been told, not sure if its true, that when outdoor EMV hits in 2017, high speed internet (cat5) will be needed at dispensers anyway.
Just another reason to pull it all now.
SPA/SPI is crap, FlexPay Connect, Wayne ip485 all have to much equipment to break down, loose power, harder to troubleshoot communication or wiring issues.
plus eventually everyone will be doing media at the pump. needing high speed comms.

Ray500
Head Tech

Post by Ray500 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:07 am

PJL wrote:I've been told, not sure if its true, that when outdoor EMV hits in 2017, high speed internet (cat5) will be needed at dispensers anyway.
Just another reason to pull it all now.
SPA/SPI is crap, FlexPay Connect, Wayne ip485 all have to much equipment to break down, loose power, harder to troubleshoot communication or wiring issues.
plus eventually everyone will be doing media at the pump. needing high speed comms.
That is a good point. Does cat5 need to be pulled in its own conduit? Can the other four wires be run in in the same conduit and do they have to be a certain distance away from Cat5?