Help Wanted / Seeking Position

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.

How has the Help Wanted Section Worked for you?

Got a Job
25%
Got an Interview
No votes
Heard back from Company
38%
Never heard back
38%

Total votes: 8

termdoc
Head Tech

Help Wanted / Seeking Position

Post by termdoc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Has anyone on this forum either have been:
A - Hired and or got a job by posting in the "Seeking Position" part of the forum
or
B - Actually hired someone after posting on the "Help Wanted" section.

I can't tell you how many times I've responded to the sections without so much as one reply back.

If you look at that part of the forum - it's the same people posting over and over seemingly never getting or going anywhere.

Is this the "Big Ego Looking For A Job" area?

highongas
Pump Jockey

Re: Help Wanted / Seeking Position

Post by highongas » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 am

I have responded to a help wanted ad and even sent a resume. The company did not even respond back.
Last edited by highongas on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy
Head Tech

Post by fatboy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:31 am

......maybe a warm latte & a group hug would be a good start ! :P
.......... Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas! ------The Rolling Stones

petroman2015
Pump Jockey

Post by petroman2015 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Having placed my POST's here as well many eons ago, the term is best called LUCK OF THE DRAW, they climb all over you but drag their primal arse in getting back, and when they do they ask questions that if they read the RESUME I sent they would already know OR was it a trick question to see if my 10yr old sister created my resume for me....

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:10 am

I have hired from the forum. I use the forum as a screening tool. I ask a potential employee and all potential customers if it, he or she is a member of the PEI Forum? They might say what's the PEI Forum? Or what is PEI? I say you should join the forum.

I do wonder though why potential employers are afraid to include what high and low $$$$'s they are willing to offer in compensation?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

hardworking
Head Tech

Post by hardworking » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:38 am

ZMiller wrote:
I do wonder though why potential employers are afraid to include what high and low $$$$'s they are willing to offer in compensation?
I would guess it's because they trying to be the low cost producer instead of the best value.

I'm curious, do any of the members here belong to any type of union? I've wondered over the years what would happen if the service and construction workers unionized. The union could have training and set performance expectations of the union members and in return offer employees well trained and motivated employees (at least that's the theory) to the business owners, with higher wage expectations of course. :)

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:54 pm

At one time gas station attendents had a union. Pipe fitters have a union. Boiler fitters have a union. Electricians have a union. Are you suggesting we start one for service station equipment repair people as well? If so know it 's been suggested by former forum members that are no longer forum members.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:09 pm

In most places that are heavily unionized the piping and install work would come under the jurisdiction of the local plumbers/pipefitters union. Electrical union doesn't care as long as you are not pulling wire at a new location, otherwise the jurisdiction headaches for a few people in an area compared to total membership is not worth the hassle for them.
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

petroman2014
Pump Jockey

Post by petroman2014 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am

AGE...What is AGE limit to a potential mature tech with vast yrs experience?. Once you reach a NOTED yr it becomes a poison should you or I make the mistake of retiring to take care of family, and then you try to come out of the dark into the light and you have nothing to offer a service oriented company?..Whats up with that...We or I of the older set have vast knowledge still locked up in our brain harddrive and some of US have alittle to show the so called golden childs...I can understand with the HEALTH INSUR issues and we the older have a few issues but let us deal with our issues and move on to get the job done right the first time with someone who MIGHT have the past knowledge to make the common sense turn of the tool to solve a problem over looked by inexperienced, if they want to learn, well learn but don't judge AGE as a default to the wayside...