STATIC at the PUMP

Have a question about static-related accidents? Post it here. Review our safe refueling guidelines and other information for consumers.
admin
Site Admin

STATIC at the PUMP

Post by admin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Received via Email:

I was a NON-BELIEVER until yesterday 02/28/2015. I was foolishly talking on my cell phone and got out to refuel my truck. As I turned the gas cap off my finger touched the base of the refueling port and static electricity sparked a flame about two feet shooting out of my fuel tank. I was dumb enough or lucky enough to blow the fire out so no damage was done. My knees are still knocking from the experience. I would be glad to help out in any way possible to let people know this is a REAL danger and to use caution. This could have resulted in loss of life and or property. I was lucky.

- BE
Tank owner? Fleet operator? Compliance officer? Explore O & E Membership

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Re: STATIC at the PUMP

Post by 1onemarty » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Knock on wood...
admin wrote:Received via Email:

I was a NON-BELIEVER until yesterday 02/28/2015. I was foolishly talking on my cell phone and got out to refuel my truck. As I turned the gas cap off my finger touched the base of the refueling port and static electricity sparked a flame about two feet shooting out of my fuel tank. I was dumb enough or lucky enough to blow the fire out so no damage was done. My knees are still knocking from the experience. I would be glad to help out in any way possible to let people know this is a REAL danger and to use caution. This could have resulted in loss of life and or property. I was lucky.

- BE
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

levi

Post by levi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:56 am

Hey buddy,
You certainly have been very lucky. The main culprit of gas station tragedies is static electricity, though it rarely ignites the fuel vapors causing flash fires. Though there are warning signs put up in such places, most of them tend to ignore it or in fact don't understand the seriousness of the problem. A disaster may be very rare, but it definitely is something that can be avoided easily. Awareness should certainly be created to address this issue.

fatboy
Head Tech

Post by fatboy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:15 am

Always said, when in this Business, it's "Murphy's Law". Wake-up :!:
.......... Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas! ------The Rolling Stones