Fuel drops

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
Buyit1986
Pump Jockey

Fuel drops

Post by Buyit1986 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am

Every time our site gets a fuel deliver the pumps run very slow for quite a while after wards and also the store fills up with gas smell during the fuel delivery. I am thinking maybe a clogged vent line or vapor recovery pipe, if that's even possible. Any one have any suggestions

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Re: Fuel drops

Post by pumpguy55 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Buyit1986 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am
Every time our site gets a fuel deliver the pumps run very slow for quite a while after wards and also the store fills up with gas smell during the fuel delivery. I am thinking maybe a clogged vent line or vapor recovery pipe, if that's even possible. Any one have any suggestions
I think you may be absolutely right.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am

You may have open ended electrical conduits allowing fumes to travel into your store.

I'm not sure how your vent pipe would get clogged from a fuel drop, unless your ball float sticks. You'll have to get a tech to pop that open and look at it. I wouldn't do it on my own, you probably don't have the right tools and you'll end up with a face full of gas vapors.

Another possible cause may be debris gets into the bottom of your stp right after the drop, then it settles out after a while.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

Techie
Head Tech

Post by Techie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 am

Fuel smell in the building after a drop? sounds like an open conduit or an unsealed EY in the sump. Fuel pumping slow after a drop? discharge system? vent line wouldnt do anything with that. Maybe a bad leak detector? interesting, keep us updated

Techie
Head Tech

Post by Techie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 am

CherokeeUST wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am
You may have open ended electrical conduits allowing fumes to travel into your store.

I'm not sure how your vent pipe would get clogged from a fuel drop, unless your ball float sticks. You'll have to get a tech to pop that open and look at it. I wouldn't do it on my own, you probably don't have the right tools and you'll end up with a face full of gas vapors.

Another possible cause may be debris gets into the bottom of your stp right after the drop, then it settles out after a while.
Amazing
your post was not there when I replied, we must have sent within seconds of each other. I agree with your ideas as well. Churned up bottom of tanks will definitely affect fuel flow if they are running the tanks dry before a delivery.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 am

Great minds. And I beat you by 2 minutes.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

Buyit1986
Pump Jockey

Post by Buyit1986 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:44 am

I figured out part of the issue the vent tubes are mounted on the back of the building and they terminate just above the roof and the furnace/ac is on the roof so I'm fairly certain that's why it's worse when the ac or heat is on. I dont know why anyone would put the two so close and not expect an issue

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:03 am

So your saying that during a bulk fuel delivery vapors are coming out of the vent risers and getting sucked into the building ventlation?

I would have a talk with whoever is delivering fuel in bulk to your site.

Assuming your facility is not in some under developed country one has to ask if the site is Phase I equiped? If so the fugitive vapor emission problem may be a driver operator/nurse wagon issue.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they begin looking forward to the trip"