what I think about being on call

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
captainpetro

Re: what I think about being on call

Post by captainpetro » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm

We're still a Bennett distributor and I get calls all the time from stores WAY out of our service area that can't get in touch with the original Bennett service company and are willing to pay the travel time. Most of it is easy money lol
I don't get a discount???

xardoz
Head Tech

Post by xardoz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:49 pm

https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Post by pumpguy55 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Thursday evening
"I can't process cards."
"Do you have internet?"
"Yes."
I drive 165 miles, no internet. Frontier doesn't know when they can get a tech there.

An hour from getting back home the tech is there. He tells me the DSL modem was hacked but internet is back up. Cards not working and they want me back. Had them reboot the commander and all was good.

Frontier is absolutely as bad as it gets.

Techie76
Pump Jockey

Post by Techie76 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:45 am

This new outfit I am with has their pay period set up from Saturday morning starting at 12:00 to Friday evening ending at 23:59...
I honestly feel that if a Company is going to charge an "Emergency After Hours Rate", then the tech that is taking the time away from his family and their weekend plans should get that time an a half on their check as well. The company loves those weeks that holidays are there... ( We need you to work mandatory on Saturday or Sunday".... Are you going to pay me time an a half? ...

I said something to the boss about it and his statement was "well you end up getting the overtime after you put in your 40 hours. OK, that is fine... Oh and I get paid "Extra compensation to answer the phone on my week to be on call." $1.00 per the normal 40 hours = $40.00 So that is all I do is answer my phone...

I don't care if their customers have an account with them or not, If they want their station fixed on the weekends, they pay cash when I show up, not check, and I do my time and take my "Overtime rate" out of the cash and then hand the company a ticket with their normal time rate on it and turn in the cash now. Works out good.

gashole
Pump Jockey

Post by gashole » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:58 am

If you don't get OT for EM calls or any weekend calls, you are working for the wrong company

Cyclepower
Pump Jockey

Post by Cyclepower » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm

gashole wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:58 am
If you don't get OT for EM calls or any weekend calls, you are working for the wrong company
What he said.

My truck doesn't leave my house for after hours call unless I'm getting OT.

The way I've always seen it, if the company I work for is charging OT, the tech should be getting paid OT.

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Post by pumpguy55 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:12 pm

I work for a very generous company. Before I worked here no one would really answer the phone unless it was convenient.

We get 1/2 of the billable time for ot.

If the work is backed up and the construction crew needs to work Saturday they get half the billable of the standard rate.

For 20 years I was the only tech answering the phone, even when I was gone. Now that I have some young help it's much better.

podczaski
Head Tech

Post by podczaski » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:08 am

We pay overtime based on the time of day you work (for emergencies) and over 8 hrs. per day. Why should a tech get penalized if he works like a dog all night, and cannot make it in early the next day. We pay double time for certain hours also, and give the guy on call an on call stipend. The customers are paying the premium rates. And it does not cost the company 1.5x as much for overtime. Only the salary portion of the cost. Insurance, gas, etc. don't go up 1.5x or 2x.