EMC WPLLD Comm Alarm

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
groce3386
Pump Jockey

EMC WPLLD Comm Alarm

Post by groce3386 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:03 am

Good Morning I own a small Service Station and lately have been having a lot of trouble with WPLLD Comm. Alarm. I've called the local Gilbarco Contractor and they have been out several times. They have replaced one sensor and keep saying its florescent lights causing the issue. I've since then replaced all they lights with leds and i'm still having the problem. It happens most at night and on Sunday when i'm not here it seems. I have 4 tanks and all of the sensors in every line will set off the alarm from time to time. Sometimes it will trip 3 or all 4 within one hour of each other. I'm starting to wonder if the EMC itself is causing the issue. Any help or insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Re: EMC WPLLD Comm Alarm

Post by 1onemarty » Mon May 13, 2019 9:11 am

PROBABLE CAUSES
Transmission Not Received
1. No Power to the STP (circuit breaker Off).
2. STP contactor permanently stuck On.
3. Controller Module has blown fuse.
4. Controller Module faulty.
5. AC Interface Module faulty.
6. Bad connection from the 220 Vac line to the AC Interface Module.
7. WPLLD transducer faulty.
8. Field wiring to STP faulty.
9. Comm Module faulty.
10. Bad connection between the AC Interface Module and the Comm Module.
Noise Interference
1. External device generating noise on the AC line (common sources are neon signs, variable speed motors, and STP
contactors).
2. Signal strength adjustment incorrect (refer to manual 576013-923).
3. A sticking STP contactor on one of the lines.
4. STP is wired to legs of 3-phase power different than those to which the AC Interface Module is wired (results in
Comm alarms).

This is right out of the WPLLD Troubleshooting manual and pertains to Electrical noise causing your problem.
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

skonley
Head Tech

Post by skonley » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm

IMHO LED lighting causes even more noise than fluro
Be alert - we need more lerts!

groce3386
Pump Jockey

Post by groce3386 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:30 am

I think you might be right because sometimes to reset them I will turn off the new LED strips and they come back online quick. I've been leaving them off as well and the sensors will still trip. It seems light related but im not 100%

groce3386
Pump Jockey

Post by groce3386 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 am

Is there a certain light that I should use. It just seems like there is no way all other gas stations are having this kind of issue because of lighting.

bigbadjohn
Head Tech

Post by bigbadjohn » Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 am

The WPLLD module subtracts a reference voltage from the voltage on the line to the STP. In a perfect world that subtraction cancels out AC voltage and leaves nothing but the signal from the pressure transducer. If there is noise on either the reference side or the STP side that won't cancel out and the module sees that as signal and tries to interpret it. If your reference voltage isn't coming from the same source as the STP power then they won't cancel out properly.

Bad ballasts are a source of noise, as are motors and variable speed controllers, and transformers. You could have a noisy cooler motor on the opposite end of the building inducing noise in it's breaker that is sitting right above your STP breaker

WPLLD issue tend to be intermittent. Other than what's already been said, some troubleshooting is going to be common sense... if there's a power cord draped over the front of the console move it. If your air compressor is sitting under the console, move it. If it goes into alarm often enough then you can turn stuff off, if you get 5 alarms an hour and they stop when you turn off the slushie machine on he other side of the wall and come back when you turn it on you need to find a new spot for the frozen drinks.

The best troubleshooting is to connect an oscilloscope to both power sources and set it to additive. That way you can see noise on the line. If you get a spike of noise every time the air pump comes on you know you have to deal with the air pump, If you have constant noise until you turn off the canopy lights then you know where to look.
Red Green "If it moves and shouldn’t: duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should: WD-40."

groce3386
Pump Jockey

Post by groce3386 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:35 pm

I dont know what the cost is of going direct wired plld sensors would be but that sure seems like it would be alot easier lol. Also could you replace the wplld with a mechanical version? Thank yall for the help I really appreciate it

nelsonpw
Head Tech

Post by nelsonpw » Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Check with your service provider and your CUPA and explore your options.
This is my signature. There are others like it but this one is mine.

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Post by 1onemarty » Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 pm

groce3386 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 am
Is there a certain light that I should use. It just seems like there is no way all other gas stations are having this kind of issue because of lighting.
All other gas stations? I like that one statement. I haven't heard the word WPLLD in many years , or seen one in many years. I don't believe there are to many stations out there with WPLLD's anymore. Your best bet would be to upgrade to hard wired PLLD's, and your cheapest solution would be to just install Mechanical Leak Detectors if your local ordinances will allow that. Speak with your local service provider and see what your options are. Good luck.
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

groce3386
Pump Jockey

Post by groce3386 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:09 am

Im learning as i go ive only been in the fuel business for 1.5 years so you will have to excuse my ignorance lol. I just figured out that most places dont have wplld. Yall have been a big help and i appreciate it.