Buying new pumps

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.

Which fuel dispenser is better?

Wayne ovation2
69%
Gilbarco encore 700s
25%
Bennett pacific envy
6%

Total votes: 16

Harryb123

Buying new pumps

Post by Harryb123 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:15 pm

As the EMV deadline approaches I need to upgrade my old pumps. I am currently using a verifone commander with topazXl as my pos. The choice I need to make is between Bennett pacific envy, Wayne ovation 2 or gilbarco encore 700s.

dmcginnis89
Head Tech

Re: Buying new pumps

Post by dmcginnis89 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:29 am

It really comes down to where you are located and who you want to service your equipment.

What company normally services your pumps? See what they have to say. There's always going to be a pissing match between Wayne and Gilbarco about who's better, but in all reality they both do the same thing when installed and serviced by a competent company.

Bennetts are great too, but if you don't have a good service company nearby, I wouldn't even think of installing them.

Harryb123

Post by Harryb123 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am

I have three service companies around my area . One services verifone and Wayne one that services verifone, Wayne and Bennett and the last work only on galbarco. Because I have a VeriFone I really don’t want to go with the galbarco unless they’re good pumps because I would have to get two deferent service people to come out here one that services Galbarco and one that does VeriFone. So I guess my choice is really between Bennett and Wayne.

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:04 pm

IMO, one of the worst things you can do is get pumps and a POS that require 2 different service companies to work on them. That leads to finger-pointing. It's not a pump problem, call your POS tech. It's not the POS, call your pump tech. When the same company works on both it doesn't matter what is to blame, they have to fix it.
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

FlankerSu27
Pump Jockey

Post by FlankerSu27 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:36 am

I came here to tell that. Plus, if your pump and POS are from 2 different companies, they'll be bugging you all the time trying to convince you to get rid of your stuff from their competitors and buy from them.
So, since you'll end up using a POS and pumps from the same company, it's better to skip the "2 sercice companies and constant bickering" part!

Masrawy
Pump Jockey

Post by Masrawy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:55 pm

Harryb123 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am
I have three service companies around my area . One services verifone and Wayne one that services verifone, Wayne and Bennett and the last work only on galbarco. Because I have a VeriFone I really don’t want to go with the galbarco unless they’re good pumps because I would have to get two deferent service people to come out here one that services Galbarco and one that does VeriFone. So I guess my choice is really between Bennett and Wayne.
Wayne is your best choice since you have 2 companies that works on Verifone and Wayne

FlankerSu27
Pump Jockey

Post by FlankerSu27 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:45 am

Yeah, there's that as well; if one of them isn't reliable and/or is too expensive, you can still go check what the competitors are offering. Then, it may lead to finger-pointing and "compatibility" issues, but it's still worth it to have other options.

DesiDeepy
Pump Jockey

Post by DesiDeepy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Just went through this headache. Keep it simple, If you are happy with Verifone + Wayne just go with them. But if you are thinking about Gilbarco, then ask for combo price. Each pump will cost around 15K or so and Passport is around 7-8K.
I have one store running brand new Wayne Oviation 2 (17K) with Topaz while other I have encore while upgrading with Passport 60.

In my opinion:
-Passport is better then Topaz as Its much more easier to setup scan table. You can make one plu "Candy Reg" and scan all the regular candy codes in it. Now with 1 change you can change all the prices of "Regular size Candy" to same. Very hard to do with Topaz as you have to either select each code or change them 1 by 1.
-On other hand Topaz's look is more professional compare to Passport, looks more like kid's tablet (like their icons and stuff).
-Topaz's printer is better and much more easier at closing time, printing shift/daily is pain with passport.

If you know someone with passport, just spend half an hour with them, you will get better idea of it.

They both have pros and cons, but end of the day service is where its all about. I would ask all three repair companies for their pricing model and see what fits your pocket better.

Hope my babbling helped a little.